Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Trip to the ER

So in my last post I mentioned the blood patch. Next time I will take the blood patch over the ER visit. So around 2:00pm yesterday Brendan started seeing a bright light again and was not making sense the he couldn't look at me or focus on what I was saying. Then his head started twitching to the right and was not responding to me at all. Thank goodness Chris was home!!! I called 911 and he called our sister to come get the other kids. The emt's arrived so quick and while explaining to us what a seizure is he started having the most awful seizure his little body was jerking all over and it lasted 15 long minutes. We decided to take him to the ER and during transport he had another then on arrival he started another and continued to have at least three more, one right after another. They were giving him vallium and ativan 2 doses of each and finally ordered in a seizure medicine. After things seemed calm and we got moved from the trama room it was 6pm. He was sound asleep he would lift his head open an eye and then go back to sleep. I think he was just makin sure we were still there. Then about 8pm he was awake enough to eat a popcycle and respond to our question he was really confused and kept repeating himself. He new where he was and wanted to go up to the peds floor so he could have the "fun" bed. His meds made him really goofy and loopy so it was hard to keep him still and quiet. Finally at 10pm then sent us up to peds and the nurse didn't like how his IV looked so she untaped him and adjusted it and boy was he ticked. He was in a lot of pain from it and kept crying for most of the night. Poor Kid. We made it through the night and he was such a sweetie, he wouldn't let me leave his side. Then the morning came and he was pretty good until the Dr. came and told him he needed to get up and walk around to see if his headache would come on when he stood up for a while. Then he was a total different kid. he was kicking spitting yelling and hitting me. He informed us he was never going to get out of bed and walk EVER! So I said fine and let him calm down and in about 5 min. he was overly lovey he was kissing me and hugging me and I was the "best mom ever". Then he wanted to put his feet on me and in my face and on my lap. Then he would break out into tears and say he was so sad just sad and to leave him alone. It was so hard for me to see my little sweet boy go through so many moods in such a short time and they were so drastically different. Finally he had to go to the bathroom and wanted to walk into there and not us the urinal. So now that it was his idea he was fine to start walking again. He was doing really well and then it was time for his CT and it was noon and he hadn't had any lunch and had just finished his IV of meds and already agitated, you can imagine how that went. We did get him calm again and he laid perfectly still even when they messed up and had to move him to a different room and use another machine. He was my b bear again. They finally let us go home at 3:30pm so we got the other kiddos and went to grandmas for Sagey's birthday party. man what a week. I hope this helps feel free to email me or post comments and I will try to respond as soon as I can.


  1. Oh Joy, I am so sorry that this is happening to your little one. I know that when Nicholas was having seizures it was the most terrifying things for me! So sorry that I am not closer to help out. But please call if you need to talk about anything. I love you so much and we will be praying for your family!!! Just one piece of advise....Don't beat yourself up thinking you did something wrong. I did that and now in hind sight know that those are just wasted thoughts!!!!!

  2. Thanks so much for updating us on what's going on. We are praying for him and you and your family as well as for the doctors so that they may know what is going on and be able to help. Please let us know if there's anything we can do for Brendan and/or your family. Love you so much!!

  3. I would take him to Primary's Children Hospital in SLC to figure out what's going on. I love that place.